Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day & Secret Lunch Pork

Happy Father's Day to my Dad, all my friends who are Dad's and to everyone else's Dad, too. Where would we be without them? Who would come help move your furniture in the worst weather to a new house? Or come out to help change your tire? Or even to just help you build or fix something? Don't we all lean on our Dads, even just a little.

I have been incredibly busy the last couple days deciding to run a Garage Sale during More on 34, a sale that runs the length of Route 34 through Illinois from Sandwich to Galesburg. So, not only did I have three of my kids here, I had my parents as well.

I cleaned out part of a house I want to sell and they cleaned out their garage. It's a good thing they did too, because my sale looked really skinny without theirs!

Unfortunately, I was so busy either setting stuff up, selling stuff or cooking for people that I forgot to take any pictures of anything. So here are my apologies because I do think a blog needs good pictures. And, I could have had some great ones, like my Dad running around Friday in a large sun hat, my youngest walking my Mom's pups, or Jessica blowing up a large Coca-Cola couch.

This morning all was quiet until the train rolled through bellowing for the crossings. All the kids are asleep, all the bargain seekers have gone home and my parents and the pups also went home. It's just me typing away here and Steve on his computer in the office and cups of steaming coffee.

Now comes the next job. Packing everything in boxes to go somewhere, anywhere, as long as that is not back into my garage, their garage or either house. Some things will stay, of course, like my 1893 hump-back travel trunk with original paper and sticker, or my wicker and copper basket I used for bubbles at my wedding.

Things that aren't coming back? Lots of old stuffed toys, purses, coffee cups, various antiques and collectibles that have no homes here or there, some collectibles I tried to sell for a friend. And, just an assortment of odds and ends. Those are going, along with a LOT more odds and ends from another house, to be sold at an auction house.

And, I am not only going to NOT worry if the make me any money, I am also going to be relieved it's gone! (Watch a couple episodes of hoarders, you'll be planning to clean the basement next, promise.)

And, just because you might need a recipe fix, and because I am always cooking something:

Secret Lunch Pork
1 to 2 lbs. pork tenderloin, sliced very thin 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 to 2 tsp. Canadian steak seasoning
One large glass baking dish
One skillet
A little oil for the skillet, like Canola
Tongs and a splatter screen (if you don't have one of these go to Dollar Tree and get one)

Into the large glass baking dish, pour your soy sauce and Canadian Steak Seasoning and mix it up with your fingers, a fork or a whisk. As you slice very slim pieces of pork, completely submerge them into the marinade. These only need to set 20 minutes, but can be put in the fridge to set longer.

Heat the skillet, add about a tablespoon of canola and let it get hot (not smoking). Using tongs, add pork a piece at a time, covering with the splatter screen. They will slow the heat briefly, but once they start sizzling, flip them over. Just as before, they will sweat a little, slow the heat, then once they begin sizzling, put them in a dish to keep warm.

Once you've cooked everything in your baking dish, you can serve with as sandwich meat, being thin makes great hot pork sandwiches, some whole wheat bread, mayo, lettuce, tomato. Or you can use them with a side dish like Cole slaw.

And, for dessert you just need a big tray of Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Bars ... once I figure out the recipe, I'll write it up, as I made it up from about three different recipes somewhat as I went along. It's just one of those things I can do and almost always comes out something delicious (we won't talk about the ones that weren't, really).

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment