Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Crack Scallop Potatoes and Chicken Cutlets

I sincerely apologize for the lack of pictures. When I was making these dishes I wasn't sure they would come out so I didn't take pictures of either one. I served them together for supper tonight. I barely had enough for lunch tomorrow as leftovers.

The potatoes I came up with from the recipe on Pinterest for crack potatoes using hash browns, which is a great recipe, but makes enough food for two meals. I often divided it and send half to one of my college kids.

The chicken I saw something similar for and then the rest of the idea came from a recipe for pork and some fresh green onions from my walking onions from my SV house.

Crispy Chicken Cutlets
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
1 Tbsp granulated onion
1 Tbsp granulated garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp hickory smoked salt
1/2 tsp ground sage
Cut the chicken into several pieces. Pound each piece to the same thickness and coat with yogurt and place in a bowl.
Starting with bread crumbs, mix all ingredients together in separate dish.
Heat a large skillet, add just enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan, barely and allow to get hot (med.-high).
Take each piece of yogurt coated chicken and place it in bread crumb mix, coating each piece. Place crumb coated chicken in hot skillet and cook about 2 minutes per side, until golden brown each side.
Heat oven to a keep-warm setting and place cooked chicken on baking sheet until all chicken is cooked. Transfer to serving platter when all are complete.
If you cut your chicken right, you should end up with about 8 cutlets, just perfect for 2 or 3 people.

Crack Scalloped Potatoes
5 to 6 thin skinned white potatoes, sliced very thinly
1 (16-oz.) container sour cream
2 cups grated Colby Jack cheese (any flavor you like would be fine)
Olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp hickory smoked salt (opt.)
1 tsp granulated onion
1 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease baking dish.
Lay one layer of thinly sliced potatoes in baking dish. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with green onions on top potatoes. Mix sour cream, grated cheese, salt, black pepper, rosemary, hickory smoked salt, granulated onion and garlic together. Separate 1/3 of sour cream mix out. Layer 1/2 remainder over potatoes. Place another layer of potatoes and green onions, then 2nd layer of sour cream mix.
Place final layer of potatoes. Add remaining green onions and crumbs to sour cream mix and spread over the top of the potatoes. Cook at 350 degrees for one hour or until potatoes are tender and top is starting to brown.

I pre-cooked my potatoes about half way because I knew I would need them on a night when I came home a little late. The chicken actually takes less time to cook then it does to prep because they are uniformly thin, while the yogurt keeps them moist and tender.

Green beans would also be a great side for the chicken. You could cook them in the same skillet once the chicken was cooked and keeping warm in the oven. Just add a cup of chicken broth and your fresh trimmed green beans and cook until tender. Place both in serving dishes. Simple. Quick. Dinner Done!

I really love quick dinners that do not need a lot of dishes to make. I save dinners that use lots of dishes for Sundays as special dinners or for special evenings, like Valentines.

I will try to get better with pictures. Since I use my phone for this, I usually forget to keep it within reach for pictures. I've had a request for my meatball recipe so I will do my best to remember pictures for that. I think tomorrow's recipe is pork medallions over linguine. A recipe I found in a magazine for which I already have all the ingredients in my cupboard and did not need to buy anything. I will do my best to take pictures!!

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment