Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Rain, Rain

As far as my hubby's concerned, the rain could come again another day. What he does relates directly to what the farmers can do and with all this rain, the farmers cannot get into their fields to get seeds into the ground. Those who do are taking a risk, will they get washed away?

Meanwhile, we're dealing with a leaky basement on the home front. The hubby just put a different sump pump into our basement and even though the water is coming in, all seems to be well. But the water in the basement bothers me quite a bit as I know at some point it will have to be dealt with.

This particular leak looks like a water fountain pouring out between the bricks about 8 inches above the floor. It is very disturbing on several fronts because it may mean that we will have to dig up the area that I am landscaping this year in order to have this repaired. The other is that if we don't, which we might not be able to, fix the leak from the outside, then we will still have to do something from the inside.

No, I have not taken a picture of this fount of water pouring into my basement. But, I will.

Meanwhile, Pioneer Woman's spicy pork is a success in my house. I cooked an approximately 7 lb. pork shoulder and put four 8-oz. bags into the freezer for my girls. I also used some for dinner tonight with Ranch potato wedges and sauteed vidallia onions and cucumber salad. I also put 1.2 lbs. of pork aside from the 4 bags for my girls.


In process are potatoes with ranch that brushed over them after 20 minutes. This is a recipe still in process. It basically involves 2 to 3 Tbsp. of Hidden Valley Ranch bacon and ranch sandwich spread combined with 1/2 tsp. of minced garlic and 1 Tbsp. olive oil, effectively using my last bit of HVR product; which wasn't really enough to get the job done.

I've used HVR sandwich spread in so many ways beyond sandwiches. Salad dressings, marinates and now as a flavoring for potato wedges. My hubby would have eaten more of them if I'd cooked more than 4.

My in-laws some-how ended up with a large quantity of good size baking potatoes and Steve brought me home about 10 potatoes. Considering how much Steve likes potatoes, he could have brought home more since I make them at least 4 times a week. Still strikes me funny, but he actually likes potato flakes for mashed potatoes as opposed to real potatoes mashed.


Above is the broth from the cooking pork with the thickener cooking before dinner. I wanted to get the last tasty bits from the bottom of the roasting pan, so I put the broth back into the pot and made a flour/butter mix that I broke off in pieces and blended into the broth to thicken it. I think next time, I might want to use the broth to loosen the tasty bits, then pour it into a more traditional roux.


I have frozen the crispy rind to use for flavoring other dishes but I am willing to bet that my children will be wanting to get it for heating up and eating. The crispy hot crust/skin from a pork roast is always a favorite of all my children (my youngest, Jacob, was in the kitchen trying to snack on it while helping with dishes).

I also put the bones aside for soup making. I will see if one of my kids will want them before I put them in the deep freeze for a colder season when hot soup is something to look forward too. When it's humid, even if it's rainy, no one is looking for soup unless it's cold.

So, I ended up with four bags (8 ounces each) for my kids and one bag (apx. 1.2 lbs.) for me to use in the next day or so. I also have some leftover chicken from sandwiches I made yesterday (check out Pioneer Woman's Marlboro Man's SECOND Favorite Sandwich). I doubt it was the chicken that makes this sandwich a guy favorite ... I'm very sure it has something to do with BACON and CHEESE.

Next time I make this sandwich, I will definitely take a lot of pictures.
Stay dry ....
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment