Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Playing in the rain

There's nothing like tossing on a raincoat and going outside in the morning and taking pictures in the rain. The colors just seem richer and more real, vibrant. Like nature tried to give the glumness of a cloudy sky a positive spin by enriching the colors.


Marigolds give you that beautiful spot of color. And some snapdragons I've had for month only just started blooming last week in beautiful rich fushia and vibrant white.


I'm also a huge fan of Pioner Woman. Today I'm using one of her recipes for pork shoulder since I had one in the freezer that seriously needed to get used. To me, she aims to please a crowd who develop large appetites from working outside, meaning that they are perfect, downsized a little, for my hubby; they are also great when I have all my kids at home.


So in my oven is a 7 lb. pork shoulder with my version of Spicy Shredded Pork. I used oregano, mild chili powder, cumin, black pepper, salt, celery, red & orange peppers and a vidalia onion. Into the blender all these things went to get ground up into a gorgeous orange paste that puddled in every nook and crany.


This pork shoulder is now in my favorite roaster in a 300 degree oven to roast slowly for about 6 hours getting turned about every other hour to ensure even cooking; then about 5:30, I'll remove the lid and turn the heat up to about 375 degrees and let that back skin develop a crisp crust.

Shredded with a pair of forks once it's done and serve it up with sauce made from the juices and some roast potatoes. Solid down-home food rocks!
Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment