Sunday, May 5, 2013

Dinner via Fine Cooking

Well, sort of.

I don't have any pictures from dinner. I just didn't think of taking any. There are no leftovers, so I can't take pictures of leftovers, either.

I made "Sirloin Tip Steak Saute with Leeks and Asparagus" except that I had no steak, no leeks and no asparagus. I used pork from a pork roast that I'd cooked the night before, fresh green beans that I'd purchased from HyVee, and green onions instead of leeks.

I also did not use cream, lemon zest or chives. I used green onions and garlic, then celery minced. Then red, orange and yellow mini-peppers and chicken broth.

The recipe from "Fine Cooking" is as follows:

Sirloin Tip Steak Saute with Leeks and Asparagus
1 1/2 lb. sirloin tip steaks (about 4)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 1/4 oz. (1/2 cup) flour
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 large leeks (white and light green parts only) trimmed, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
3/4 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup lower-salt chicken broth
8 oz. asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces on a sharp diagonal
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1 1/2 Tbsp. thinly sliced fresh chives
Pat beef dry with paper towels and season on all sides with 1 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. black pepper. Dredge the beef in the flour, shaking off the excess.
Heat oil and 1 Tbsp. of butter in 12-inch skillet over med.-high heat until butter melts and foam subsides. Add steaks and cook, turning once, until browned, 2 minutes per side. Transfer to cutting board.
Add remaining butter and leeks to skillet. Season lightly with salt & cook, stirring often, until softened and browned in spots, about 3 minutes. Raise the heat to high, add the wine, and cook, scraping bottom of the pot with wooded spatula to release any browned bits, until almost evaporated. 1 to 2 minutes. Add the brother and boil until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut beef crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices.
Add asparagus to skillet and return sauce to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until asparagus is just tender, about 3 min. Add cream and beef to pan. Cook, stirring, until beef is just pink and heated through and sauce thickens slightly, 2 min. Remove from the heat, stir in zest and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with chives.

So, I used pork from a pork roast I made Saturday, instead of beef. I used green onions instead of leeks and added celery and red, yellow & orange peppers. I left out the wine, cream, lemon zest and chives.

So, what I made:

Pork Saute with Green Beans and Peppers
2 lb. pork roast, sliced 1/4 inch slices
6 green onions, sliced
6 mixed colored peppers, seeded and sliced
1/2 cup celery, minced
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
2 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. hickory smoked salt
Salt and Pepper to taste
Worcestershire sauce to taste
3/4 lb. green beans, trimmed and cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces
2 tsp. corn starch
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 package egg noodles cooked per package directions.

Heat large skillet on high until pan feels hot under your hand. Add olive oil and let warm up. Add butter and let melt. Add green onion and garlic and let cook until fragrant. Add celery and cook until tender. Add 1/2 of chicken broth and let get hot. Once hot, add seasonings, green beans and peppers and cover. Cook until beans are tender.
Once beans are tender, add pork and cover, until heated through. Add remaining chicken broth and let get hot, then add cornstarch mixed with 2 oz. cold water and stir thoroughly. Let cook, stirring, until meat and vegetables glazed.
Serve over hot buttered egg noodles.

I have no leftovers from dinner. No leftover always means that dinner was a winner, even if my hubby looked at the picture in the magazine and told me it looked awful. I guess I am getting to know my boy.

On a separate note, Josie had prom yesterday and promised me pictures. She had a wardrobe issue and could not wear the corset I made for her. She did take pictures in that outfit before changing it out and has promised to send them to me. Hopefully, tomorrow I will have pictures of the outfit I made and what she actually wore for her prom yesterday.

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment