Thursday, March 14, 2013

Birthday Cookies

Friday the 15th, my youngest son turns 16. He wanted some treats to take to school to share with classmates. I asked the teacher if cookies would be ok (always ask first in case of food allergies).

I've had this recipe written down in my book for a while. 

Soft large cookies loaded with chocolate candies and peanuts. And, I mean large ...
My son gave the taste test a thumbs up!

Soft Brown Sugar Cookies
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed (I reduced the sugar to 1 cup)
2 eggs
1 tsp Vanilla (use the real stuff)
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
(2 very ripe medium bananas)
(2 packets 1.75-ounces Mountain Trail Mix from Aldi's)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Blend butter and brown sugar. Add eggs one at a time (crack separately into a small bowl, then add to your butter mix). Blend well. Add vanilla and beat until light.
In separate bowl combine dry ingredients. Add alternately sour cream and flour mix. Mix well.
Drop by rounded tablespoons onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake 8 minutes (if you make really large cookies bake 6 minutes, turn and 8 minutes more) and remove to wire rack to cool. Original recipe makes 2 dozen (mine made 17 very large cookies and 1 smaller one from bowl scrapings).


There was a recipe for frosting:
Browned Butter Frosting
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp milk
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat until turns golden brown (slow is better here). Watch carefully as this will happen quick! Remove from heat. Stire in powdered sugar and enough milk to make a spreading consistency frosting.

I did not make the frosting. WIth the chocolate and peanut addition, I felt frosting wasn't needed. I packed them to travel with my younger son to school. Hopefully they will arrive in one piece.

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment