Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Butterfly Top


My Butterfly top is finally complete, that is as far as being sewn. Styled off McCalls 6205, following a design idea I found on the internet.

Pattern Description:  Raglan top with sleeve variations and scarf.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? I think the front looks pretty much like the pattern envelope. The back is where all the changes were made. I'm still considering if I want to embellish the front or keep it plain.
Were the instructions easy to follow? If you are looking for a very simple floating summer top, this is it. The instructions are easy to follow. I only used them to help me keep my pattern pieces organized. My alteration to the back made 3 more pieces to keep track of.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the lines of this pattern. The original is only 4 pieces and would sew up quick. I had no dislikes to this pattern. 
Fabric Used: The fabric of this top is a polyester chiffon in a solid baby blue. This is a very slippery fabric and that made working with it a bit challenging. Also, the front and back are very similar so it was a real challenge keeping the sleeve pieces organized.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I changed the back of this top to be three pieces. The first combines with the back sleeve and just comes together at the back of the neck and along the side seams. The second piece is the lace inset with the butterflies. The lower piece had width added to it to create a delicate ruffle. Also, since my shoulders are smaller, I traced the pattern as a large at the top, widening to extra large in the middle. I did not add any extra to the bottom besides the back.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? This is an easy pattern. I would recommend this to someone with beginning sewing skills, just not using something slippery like chiffon. I do want to make one with the long sleeves for fall. I'm thinking maybe leopard knit.

Conclusion: I am very happy with how this top turned out, but next time I will use wash-away or heat removable stabilizer for making my own lace. The tear-away has proved particularly difficult to remove. I still have some hand-work to finish this top including adding a hanging ribbon to it hangs properly on a hanger, and maybe adding some ribbonwork and beading. I know that I will need to make a camisole to wear under this. I will have to see which of my patterns will work the best.

And, next time, I will ask my husband or my son to take pictures. It is impossible to take pictures of a garment on yourself adequately with a cell phone! I think I have more wall the me in this picture.

It also shows exactly how sheer this top is. I had a neutral colored bra on and even I thought I looked a bit naked underneath. Definitely needs a sweet cami ... maybe lace or even another layer of chiffon?

Now I need to decide if I want to make pants in a matching color. At 5 ft. 2 in. I always look taller in a similar color up and down.

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment