Thursday, March 28, 2013

Ironing Board

My ironing board bit the dust several months ago. It was not even an old one, although, it always had issues when I wanted to fold it up and put it away.

While folding it up this last time the rivets holding the top of the legs to the board just both snapped. I've had old ironing boards that folded better and lasted longer than this metal contraption. I have it in the basement as my husband said he might look at it and see if a couple screws would fix the issue.

Meanwhile, this left me with nothing but my dinning room table to iron on. The table is also my crafting surface, my cutting surface and has to be clean by 4:30 so we can eat dinner there. So, repeatedly setting up layers of towels or sheets to iron and then having to move them over and over just was not going to work.

On Wednesdays, the local PBS station airs a knitting show, a quilting show, two sewing shows with a beading show between. Two weeks ago, the Quilting Arts show featured sewing room organizing and part of that was making a pressing board.



A pressing board is a piece of plywood layered with batting, a cotton lining, a decorative cotton front. On the show, they taped the edges down with decorative duct tape. I chose to use a piece of ultrasuede I had on hand and to use tacks to decoratively hold the edges down.



I used a 1/4 inch piece of plywood and two layers of batting followed by a cream cotton and then this gorgeous dusky rose morning glory print for the front.



The directions for building the board are on their website, but to make it easier, I'll link it right hereNow you can collect the supplies and make one for yourself. This is a perfect size at two feet by two feet (squares like this can be purchased at the lumber store, mine's from Menards). I can slip it underneath or behind my hutch for storage. When you use your sewing room as a dining room, being able to easily store anything is important. It also has to be light enough for me to move around by myself.



This sits right on top my cutting board and slides easily under my hutch. It's light enough that I can lean it alongside the table when I need the full cutting surface and small enough that I can put it on one side and still have some cutting surface available.

Now it's on to another layer on my garden project and then to begin my next stash project.

The tape holds the glass in place until it dries.


Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment