Thursday, March 7, 2013

Steak the easy way

One of those new things I've been working on is menu planning. This makes grocery shopping so much easier. And, when the hubby says, "What's for dinner?" Now I can tell him.

The next thing on my blog learning list is photos and I apologize for not having photos. When you've a hungry family waiting for food, they do not want to wait while you take pictures! But I'll get all of this together, promise.

There are days when I have an abundance of energy and can spend an hour or two on something more elaborate for dinner, but sometimes, like yesterday, I had a migraine or I'm just running short on time. This recipe takes about 20 minutes or so all the way around. So even after work, you could have awesome steak.

I collect recipes the way other people collect marbles. I have several notebooks full. Since becoming a full time homemaker, I've taken to writting notes on the bottoms of each recipe and then moving recipes that get the family thumbs-up to a notebook for those that they love.

The recipe as written:

Sirloin Steak with Garlic Butter
1/2 cup butter
2 tsp. garlic powder
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 lbs. Beef Top Sirloin Steaks
Salt & Black Pepper
Preheat outdoor grill for high heat. In small saucepan, melt butter over med.-low heat. Salt & pepper steaks.
Grill 4 to 5 minutes per side to desired doneness. Transfer to serving plate & brush tops liberally with garlic butter. Let rest 2 to 3 minutes before serving.
Recipe via Pinterest.

Recipe as made:
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
2 Tbsp. parsley flakes
1-2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
Salt & Black Pepper
4 lbs. Beef Top Sirloin Steaks (in my case, sirloin cutlets)
Preheat the broiler and position oven rack to the top slot (about 6 inches from heat). Prepare a pan with olive oil cooking spray (a Tbsp. of olive oil or other oil spread over your pan would do the same).
In a bowl, put butter, garlic powder, onion powder and parsley flakes (a little smoke seasoning would also be a good addition, but only about 1/2 tsp. ... a little goes a long way). Mash with a fork until well blended.
Put steaks on prepared pan. Put about 1/2 tsp. soy sauce directly on each steak. Season with a little bit of salt and black pepper. At this point, you could put them in the oven. I put a little of my seasoned butter on them before I did.
Put the steaks in the oven and set the timer for about 6 minutes. You may need to adjust this depending on how thick your steaks are.
When the timer goes off, flip steaks and return for 6 minutes more. Check for desired doneness. Mine were ready at this point so I transferred them to a platter and topped them with a generous tsp. of butter mix and let them rest.

I served these with a frozen green bean blend that went into the microwave while I worked on the steaks. If you add a little chicken broth instead of water while reheating it adds a great flavor boost.

These steaks came out so tender, we did not need steak knives. I was lucky to save a piece of one for my lunch, otherwise, there would have been no leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment