Saturday, April 27, 2013

Sunny Saturday & Bacon Ranch Dip

Matt is visiting this weekend and offered to help me with a few things I've been trying to get done on my own.

So this morning, he helped me get my Belladonna Lilies replanted. He also helped me get my first load of irises into the ground. I've already transplanted 3 rhubarb plants and several walking onions.

I'm very glad to get those irises into the ground. I should have spent a little more time getting the planting ground ready, but I'm not sure it would have helped. I also need to get a proper hand trowel, so I can dig once I'm on the ground. I only dug up four groups of irises at my Spring Valley house. I have two whole beds to lift and divide.

He also helped me bring clean canning jars into my storage area in the basement. I found canning lids for 49 cents per 12 ct. box at a Goodwill, so I bought 20 of them. I also bought an entire box of jelly jars for $2.00. I'm thinking I've got plenty to keep me busy for a while now.

I also made Bacon Ranch Dip for dinner this evening. I've been wanting to make this for a while. It really turned out very simple.


I started with about 8 slices of bacon and a 1/2 cup of green onions. Fry the bacon until it's crisp. The onions are just to flavor the bacon. Transfer to a plate with a couple paper towels to drain.


About 1/4 cup of the green parts of a couple green onions, minced, and Hidden Valley Ranch mix, about a 1/4 cup. Mix together.

About 1 1/4 cup mild cheddar cheese, mince the shreds finer, then add to the green onion mix.


Add about half of a 16 ounce container of sour cream to the cheese-onion mix and blend. Finely chop the bacon and add to the cheese mix. Gradually add the remainder of the sour cream. Put into the refrigerator for the flavors to blend.

I did notice the the flavors are better blended several hours after I made it than just 40 minutes after I made it and used it for dinner, so I advise making this 2-3 hours before you plan to serve it so that the flavors really have time to blend.

I apologize for not getting a picture of the finished dip. The guys liked it so much, they were putting it on their cheeseburgers as well as eating it with the fries.

Bacon Cheddar Dip
     by Taste of Home
2 cups (16 oz.) sour cream
1 cup (4 oz.) finely shredded cheddar cheese
1 envelope Ranch dressing mix
2 to 4 bacon strips cooked & crumbled
In medium bowl, combine sour cream, Cheddar cheese, ranch mix and bacon. Cover and chill at least an hour.

An absolutely super simple recipe. I think it would make a good base for a casserole. Give it a try. You don't need an excuse other than dip made from scratch doesn't have as much salt or preservatives as a commercially made dip.

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment