Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sunshine

There's just something about sunshine that makes you feel good. I have a lot of windows facing east and southeast, which brings a light into my living and sewing/dining rooms. I like having plenty of light. Soon, though, I'm going to have to finish my curtain project because once summer comes, I'm going to want to keep some of that beautiful sunlight outside.


Today's sunlight inspired me to clean my kitchen counters this morning even before I had a cup of coffee! When my kitchen is clean I just want to get in there and bake. I'm already making tapioca for my oldest son, and, made cookies last night with jelly beans for all my kids.


My improv double boiler above with the milk and tapioca mix cooking on the stove. Matt happened to mention to me that he loves this, so I thought I'd make him some to thank him for taking his brother overnight.


The recipe for pudding recipe is right on the back of the package and is really very simple. I like tapioca, too, so I don't know why I thought it would be so difficult to make. I'll put the recipe at the end of the post.


Pictured above is one tray of Jelly Bean cookies. When I was working, I never had much time for making fun things like cookies and pudding. Work took 12 hours of my life between working and the drive, leaving me barely time to even see my family, and weekends were catch-up time for things we couldn't do during the week.


Here are the fabrics for my next sewing project. A very beautiful woven plaid in shades of purple and charcoal, a soft purple tweed and a coordinating purple knit. These will become shirts for Josie.


The button-up shirt from this Butterick pattern is a good match for a shirt Josie wears all the time. I'm going to make one from the plaid and one from the tweed. Then I'm going to use the next pattern for a t-shirt.

For Josie, I am going to make a tunic length without the lace and lengthen the sleeves. It will look great under the plaid. Now I need to shop my stash of fabrics to see if I have a charcoal knit to make a tank top to go under the T-shirt and button-down. I think the layers would look great together.

Also, the Butterick pattern I've had for ages, so I can enter the first top from that in the Pattern Stash Contest and the fabrics are close to the African Violet color from the Spring Pantone colors, so I can enter the other tops in the Pantone Contest.


This fabric is really a beautiful grey jade color. For some reason it doesn't photograph well. This will become a summer dress for myself and can go into the Pantone contest too. I've got a beautiful sketch of a maxi-dress that is so simple that I can't wait to make a couple to wear this summer. I've got an idea to decorate the shoulder area and can't wait to start!

And, tapioca pudding, finished ...


Tapioca Pudding from Reese
1/2 cup Reese Tapioca
2 1/2 cups milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 tsp. vanilla
In a bowl, soak tapioca in 2 cups of room temperature water overnight. Drain water.
In double boiler, heat milk just until no longer cold. Add salt and tapioca. Continue heating until small bubbles appear at sides of pan. Cover, turn heat to very low and cook for one hour. Make sure that milk mixture does not simmer or boil.
Separate egg whites from yolks. Beat egg yolks and sugar together until light yellow in color. Add a little of the hot mixture to the egg yolks and blend thoroughly. Place the double boiler over medium heat and cook until tapioca mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes.
Beat egg whites until stiff. Slowly fold the egg whites into the hot tapioca mixture. Stir in vanilla. Serve warm or chilled.
Makes 6-8 servings.

Now, to pack it up and take it to Matt.

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment